Is Your Cybersecurity Secure Enough? Here are ways to Keep Your System Secure
Nowadays, cybersecurity attacks are becoming more common. Whether you have a big or small business, you must ensure you do everything to keep your business safe. About 81% of cybersecurity breaches occur in small to medium-sized businesses.
You must keep your company information, network, data, and reputation safe. Hackers are becoming sophisticated, and you’ll need a comprehensive security plan. Here are steps you can use to keep your system safe from cybercriminals.
Use antivirus software
You should invest in antivirus software that deals with the latest malware threats. Ransomware is a common cybersecurity risk to businesses today. Ransomware has become 57 times more destructive than it was in 2015.
Malware and computer viruses are common. You can use antivirus software to keep your computer safe. Viruses can make your computer slow or delete essential files. Antivirus software will detect real-time threats to keep your data safe.
If you get an advanced antivirus program, it can provide automatic updates and ensure your system is safe from new viruses. Make sure you use the antivirus program once you install it. Schedule regular scans to check if your computer is free of viruses.
The antivirus program will scan your files and emails and delete anything malicious. Keep the antivirus program up to date and set it to scan files daily. Do a thorough scan twice a month.
Keep your software up-to-date
Keeping your software up to date is one of the ways you can keep your system safe. Software updates ensure the manufacturer supports your devices. It also ensures you install patches to your operating system whenever they become available.
The patches will fix any security vulnerabilities. Attackers can use the vulnerabilities to get access to your system. Here is what to do.
- To ensure you don’t forget to install the updates, set the system preferences to update automatically.
- Make sure your computers and servers run on operating systems that are patched.
- Make sure the mobile devices your employees use have supported operating systems.
- If your staff use their devices for work, they should have a supported operating system. The device should be up-to-date.
Use a firewall
A firewall is software on your computer between the internet and your computer. It checks all incoming and outgoing traffic. When you set up the firewall, it keeps your internal networks safe. However, you must regularly patch it to work as required. Don’t forget to install a firewall on your portable devices.
You should check your firewall often. It may seem like a complicated thing to do, but it is straightforward. If you have a Windows-based system, go to your control panel and type firewall. If the firewall is connected or on, then everything is good. If you have a Mac, click on the Apple icon on the toolbar and go to your system preferences. Next, click on security and choose the firewall. Make sure the firewall can keep your system safe from criminals.
You can also opt for firmware from a software company that provides firewall protection. A hardware-based firewall will give you better security.
Use a strong password
One of the ways cyber attackers get access to your system is when you use weak passwords. Weak passwords increase data breaches, ransomware, phishing scam, and even financial fraud. Secure passwords are vital to protect your system from network intrusion. If you have secure passwords, you make it hard for attackers to invade your system. So make sure you use a strong password. Here are simple ways you can protect your passwords.
- Avoid using common passwords: your passwords should not be too obvious. Don’t use your birthday or the year you started your business.
- Ensure the password is a minimum of 12 characters and contains a mix of letters, numbers, symbols, and special characters.
- Add a second layer of protection: you can protect your password using two-factor authentication (2FA). The 2FA includes a verification code sent to email, SMS, or an answer to a personal question.
- Change password often: don’t set your password and forget about it. Using the same password for years can increase the risk of your system being hacked.
- Use different passwords for different accounts: If one account gets hacked, it will be easier to access the other accounts.
- Use a password manager: it is an application that will keep your passwords secure in one place.
Watch out for phishing emails
You should never open emails from any source that seems suspicious. Never open the attachments in such emails. Be careful even if the email is from someone on your contact list. The sender’s accounts could have been hacked. If you regularly communicate with someone and notice that the email they sent has a suspicious link, delete it immediately. Alert the person that their account has been hacked.
Back up your data
Backing up your business data will ensure you recover your information if you lose it. Regularly back up your data. Having multiple backups will ensure your important files are safe. Make sure your backup system includes the following:
- End-of-week server backups
- Daily backups to a portable device
- Yearly server backups
- Quarterly server backups
Back up your files on an external drive or a USB stick. Please do not leave the devices connected to your computer since they can be infected in case of a cyberattack. You can also back your data in the cloud.
Backing up data will protect you in case of an electrical outage or computer crash. It will also keep you safe when you become a victim of ransomware.
The threat of cyberattack is real, and you can easily forget about it until it strikes. You’ll need a cybersecurity strategy if your organization has an online presence and you store company data on digital devices. The above steps will help keep your system secure. Combining the best practices with help from professionals will help keep your system secure. Veltec Networks is a cybersecurity firm that can help you identify vulnerabilities in your system and keep your system safe. Contact us today to find out more about how we can help protect your business.