While mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets, are becoming more popular than ever before in the workplace; is it safe to have mobile devices connecting to the corporate network? As employees continue to utilize personally owned smartphones and tablets to access business resources, it’s fundamental to consider the potential security risks associated with mobile devices accessing the corporate network.
Should you be worried about your employees using personal mobile devices to access the corporate network? The short answer: absolutely! As BYOD continues to evolve, cybercriminals are responding with more creative, sophisticated ways to exploit the trend.
How do cybercriminals exploit the trend? That’s simple, they create mobile device specific threats, which infect your employees’ mobile devices, then when they’ve connected to the corporate network, the infection transfers! So what happens when malware infects the corporate network? Here’s a few examples:
- Workstations can become unstable: All of your employees’ workstations will quickly become unstable, possibly crashing or slowing down without any clear explanation.
- Sensitive data can be stolen: When key logging malware infections occur, the keys pressed on your keyboards are recorded, then a log is sent to the hacker to search for sensitive data.
- Costly business downtime can occur: Once a malware infection is on the network, it spreads to all of the workstations and often results in costly business downtime due to crashes and slow performance.
Of course, as you’re already aware, mobile devices are key business enablers, which means they’re able to increase productivity, and ultimately, improve your bottom line as a result of getting more done while enhancing communication and collaboration. So how can mobile devices be used without presenting such a threat to the corporate network?
Veltec Networks Specializes in Isolating the Smartphone Network From the Corporate Network to Help You Maintain Productivity While Mitigating the Risks!
When you’re looking to utilize mobile devices in the workplace, our team of IT experts strongly recommends isolating the smartphone network from the corporate network, in order to help you maintain productivity while mitigating the risks. Fortunately, we specialize in creating two networks:
- A smartphone network: A smartphone or guest network can be created to allow smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices to access the network in a secure manner.
- A corporate network: A corporate network can be created to allow authorized laptops and PCs to access the network for business purposes while ensuring the risk of malware is minimized.
This ensures mobile devices aren’t able to carry malware to the corporate network while allowing employees to stay productive and efficient without presenting threats to sensitive business data and uptime.
Interested in creating two separate networks? Give us a call at (408) 849-4441 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Veltec Networks is the preferred IT support company for businesses in San Jose, Palo Alto, San Mateo, Fremont and across the entire San Francisco Bay Area.